Thursday, December 29, 2011

Top 10 fave albums of 2011

Here we go, in no particular order.

Tom Waits: Bad As Me. Initially I was disappointed this wasn't stronger, this being his first new material in seven years. But I found myself enjoying it anyway. What more matters?

The Pack A.D.: Unpersons. Two-girl garage-punk band kickass album of the year.

Limes: Tarantula! Sort of a slacker Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, which makes for a fun listen.

Silos: Florizona. Walter S. and friends back with a mighty fine collection that doesn't break much new ground but jumps out of the speakers.

Lydia Loveless: Indestructible Machine. Kickass drunk-young-female-alt country album of the year. Great voice.

Art Brut: Brilliant! Tragic! Critics didn't like this much but I truly enjoyed the Black Francis production (Pixies sound) mixed with the witty/ wacky lyrics and singing

Felice Brothers: Celebration, Florida These guys totally surprised by advancing their material beyond alt country roots, into some mighty fine, deep tunes.

TV On the Radio: Nine Types of Light I played this one the loudest and longest on my car stereo. One of the best concerts I ever experienced when they came to the Pabst.

The Kills: Blood Pressures Like the Tom Waits CD, it took me a while to warm up to this, but it's a solid album with the exception of one track where the guy sings.

PJ Harvey: Let England Shake Every PJ album is an event and in this case it's haunting, heartfelt and, as always, in a class of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment